Friday, March 06, 2015

Music as equalizer of opportunities

"The greatest gift that Rosemary has given me is..she has made me realize my dreams and talent. I was just a young boy on the street playing football like any other kid and one day just changed my whole life..I did not think I will make it this far."
Rosemary Nalden arrived in Soweto nearly 20 years ago after she heard about a group of children who were struggling to learn music. She arrived to help fundraise and to teach. Now, as Founder of Buskaid and director of the Buskaid Soweto String Project - she has spent nearly 20 years teaching music to young black children in South African townships. Her pupils have gone to win places at prestigious music schools in Britain, and the group appeared with John Eliot Gardiner at the BBC Proms in 2007. In the TED presentation below she talks about how to build a world-class music school and how that helps builds world-class young people.
-- Read about Buskaid on The Guardian
-- Read about Rosemary on The Independent
-- Watch Rosemary talk about Buskaid



No comments: