Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Beautiful little people

Lamiya was in sixth grade and one of the first Modern Band students at Philippa Schuyler Middle School after Jen Theilacker (her teacher) attended Little Kids Rock’s teacher training and received all of the musical instruments and resources she needed to start a program at her school. Lamiya, who is headed to high school next year, embraced this new learning environment wholeheartedly, as it allowed her to get in touch with her creative side and grow as a person, not just a musician. Her original song, Broken Record (about battling depression and insomnia) gives a glimpse into Lamiya’s heart, which she pours out for her audience: "A broken record basically repeats a certain part of a song over and over again. In a way, a person who has depression feels like their life is a broken record, because the sadness never leaves, and bad things keep happening." "I think that music will forever be part of my life," she says. "It won’t be my main focus, because my biggest goal in life is to be a doctor. However, I’d love to continue helping people with my songs in the future."
"I feel like I have learned as much, if not more from Lamiya, than I have taught her over the past few years", says her teacher -- read full article here

No comments: